International Move Specialists, You Pick The Location, We Take Care Of The Rest 

Planning a move from Canada to the United States?

Before you do, you must understand that it requires special expertise, as a result of all regulations in today’s conscious world. Since the last 10 years, a lot of rules have changed for carriers and individuals, from Homeland Security, Canada Border Services and the United States as well.

Specializing in International Moves

Sea Air Moving is recognized as true specialist in moving personal effects from Canada to the United States and we will gladly help you along the way. Throughout this process, we will inform you on all required documentation for the borders, how to pack and identify all your belongings, moving with animals, alcohol, cars etc.

Our trained and experienced Moving Consultant will come to your residence, assess your moving needs and go over all options and services with you. We want you to make an informed choice about the company you retain to move all of your belongings to your new home.

How do we, your Canadian cross-border moving partner, ensure your move is easy?
  • We, at Sea Air Moving, understand well that there are numerous complexities involved in moving your personal effects to the USA. Our dedicated teams of cross border specialists have the necessary resources that are required to do the job correctly.
  • This means that we take all the steps necessary to make sure we are in full compliance with all of the regulations.
  • Our cross border moving specialists know what documentation is required and we will do our best to make sure the process is as simple as possible for you.
  • Our professionally trained moving staff will make sure that your possessions are inventoried upon loading and again when they are unloaded.
  • Our movers will also unpack and set up your furniture in your new home. That way all you have to settle in and enjoy.

For Canada-US moving, the following documentation is required, with the exact documentation requirements varying depending on residency status.

  • Passport (copy) showing personal data and photo page
  • U.S Immigration I-94 (if applicable)
  • Customs Form 3299 "Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles"
  • Supplement Declaration for Unaccompanied Personal and Household Effects
  • Power of Attorney Form authorizing Destination Agent to act on Customer's behalf in liaisons with U.S. Customs
  • Inventory in English (detailed, PBO "packed by owner" and misc. "miscellaneous" not acceptable)


  • Shipment must clear at boarder of entry on truck.
  • Used household goods and personal effects can be imported duty-free:
    • If items purchased abroad are not for resale or for use by another person, and have been in owner's possession for at least one year
    • Professional equipment which was owned and used abroad is also generally duty-free


  • New items (less than one year old), inheritance items, and gifts are dutiable
  • Sales receipts may be required on new items
  • Antiques (Certificate of Authenticity is required)
  • Medicine - Recommended travel with individual, not in shipment!
    •  must be properly identified
    • must not exceed normal quantities required by an individual with a health problem
    • must have either a prescription or written statement from doctor stating that the medicine is required for physical well-being
  • Biological materials of public health or of veterinary importance require an Import Permit
    • Strongly recommend not shipping with household goods
    • Certain ports are "Dry Ports" and alcohol cannot be imported at that location; alcohol is not permitted in those states
    • All cartons containing alcoholic beverages should be loaded together, clearly marked on the inventory and be easily accessible for inspection
    • Customer must provide name, quantity, size of bottle, alcohol content, value per bottle, and date purchased


  • Liquor filled candy
  • Lottery tickets
  • Narcotics and dangerous drugs (violation will result in severe penalties)
  • Obscene or pornographic material
  • Unlawful or treasonable material
  • Hazardous articles (e.g. fireworks, combustible, corrosive, flammable or explosive items and toxic or poisonous substances)
  • Switch blade knives
  • Pirated books or articles (e.g. cassettes and computer programs) will be confiscated and destroyed
  • Foodstuff is strictly controlled and subject to inspection and confiscation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) – DO NOT SHIP
  • Firearms and ammunition (automatic and heavy military weapons are strictly prohibited)


  • Automobiles are subject to import duties and taxes
  • Proof of ownership / Canada Title / Registration
  • Autos previously exported from the U.S. may be imported duty-free provided the customer can supply the export Ocean Bill of Lading and can prove that no modifications have been made to the auto since exporting from the U.S. and original copy of U.S state registration supplied
  • All automobiles imported must meet both the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements.
  • Information on emission standards can be obtained from the EPA
  • All costs for exam, testing or modifications of auto are payable by the Customer
  • Make, model and year of auto must be provided
  • Documents required:
    • EPA Form 3520-1
    • Purchase Invoice
    • Title / Ownership
    • Copy of Driver’s License (if applicable)
    • Passport
    • 3299 form
    • Manufacturers letter of compliance for U.S EPA and safety.
    • Lease Auto’s – Must have a signed letter from financial / lease company authorized auto to go to the USA (length to/up to (Shippers stay in the U.S)

PETS – Recommend 3rd party handling or travel with client

  • There are strict controls, restrictions, and prohibitions on the importation of animals, which is regulated by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service and U.S. Public Health Service
  • A minimum of seven days notification prior to arrival is required in order to make necessary arrangements
  • Import regulations for pets may include the following, depending on the country of origin:
    •  Original Certificate of rabies vaccination showing proof that the vaccination was administered more than 30 days prior to the flight, but not more than 180 days
    • Health Certificate from a veterinarian must be issued within 15 to 10 days prior to animals departure
    • Dogs and cats are not normally quarantined, but birds require 30 days quarantine and an Import Permit